Wednesday, August 29, 2012

She Studies Seashells

G'day! or should I say Bonjour?!

My name's Liza Roger, and I'm a new addition this year to the Ocean Acidification Pteropod Study team. I am currently doing research for my PhD at the University of Western Australia in Perth, under the supervision of Dr Malcolm McCulloch and Dr Julie Trotter at the School of Earth and Environment. I performed part of my undergrad studies in France (I'm French) and finished in Australia. After I graduated, for my Master's degree I studied changes in modern pteropod shells (size, thickness and porosity) collected from regions off the northwest and northeast coasts of Australia over a 45-year-period.

Map of Australia showing my Master's sampling locations (Scott Reef, Rowley Shoals, Browse Island, North West Cape, Lizard Island, Whitsunday Islands, and Heron Island)

My research results suggested that pteropods off Northern Australia (tropical pteropods!) may have been influenced by changes in seawater chemistry over the past few decades, particularly a decrease in the availability of the carbonate ion that pteropods need to produce their aragonitic shells (i.e., a decline in the aragonite saturation state). While most pteropod studies concentrate on polar and sub-polar species I seem to be the 'odd-one' studying tropical pteropods. Pteropods are distributed circumglobally in all the world's oceans though and I strongly belive tropical pteropods should not be over-looked.

Soooo....
 
What am I doing in the Northeast Pacific then?

I met part of the OAPS team in 2011 at a zooplankton conference in Chile and our common interest in pteropods brought us together again when they invited me to join them on this research cruise. The team/lab (ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies) I am part of back in Australia focuses on calcification and concentrates on developing new analytical methods intended to improve the understanding of the impacts of global climate change on the marine environment. Most people in my lab work on corals and calcifying algae so, again, I am the 'odd-one' working on planktonic molluscs!

High magnification images of pteropod shells made with a Scanning Electron Microscope. Top image is of a fracture along the surface of the shell of a specimen of Creseis acicula showing how the shell is made of two crossed lamellae (i.e., layers). Bottom image is of the dorsal surface of the shell of a Diacavolinia longirostris showing the ribbed growth-line patterns.

So, here I am, on the R/V New Horizon, collecting pteropods to study their calcification. Up until now, scientists have studied the dissolution of pteropod shells under different environmental conditions but the actual production of the shells (i.e., calcification) seems to have been a little neglected; I hope to shed some light on the topic...

Here are a few of the questions I am trying to answer:
  • What is the chemical composition of pteropod calcium carbonate shells?
  • Do pteropods regulate the pH of the fluid  they use to calcify their shells (internal or extra-cellular fluid)?
  • If so, do they up-regulate pH? Down-regulate? Or something else?
  • In terms of shell calcification, are there differences between species? Ocean basins? Polar vs tropical?
A Limacina helicina shell, dried and ready for analysis back home. Photo L. Roger.

So far we have already caught abundant Limacina helicina in our Reeve net and I have preserved a number of them to analyze once I'm back home in Australia. On that note, I hope to get back to you later in the cruise with some answers and in the mean time we steam towards new horizons...

Liza Roger

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We offer personal loans up to $ 100,000, are you looking for a business loan and have been denied by a bank, we can help with loans of $ 5,000 to a maximum of $ 100,000.loans that can help you start your dream business,Rebuild and get your business back on track and can also bring you on a path to a better financial future.On time, you can apply in just a few minutes and get your money the same day.
    Do not delay! E-mail via {smallscaleloans@gmail.com}
    Thank you for contacting us,
    Best regards
    Mr.George
    smallscaleloans@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello i want to share my amazing experience with the greatest spell caster Dr omohan my husband was cheating on me and when i found out we had a fight which lead to him filling for a divorce i cried and fell sick when i was searching about love quotes online i saw people talking about him and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info i contacted him and he told me not to worry that after 24hrs he will cancel the divorce and be back to me after i did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back,thank you once again Dr omohan you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you contact email: dromohanspell@gmail.com WhatsApp +2348164816038   

    ReplyDelete